Sunday, July 31, 2011

Christian Yoga?

There was a discussion among my FB friends as to wether or not there could be such a thing as christian yoga so I figured I would blog on my stance of it and why. I havent honestly done any research on it other than what I have heard from people both for it and against it, both christian and non christian. What I know about it is what the Holy spirit has revealed to me. I have done a lot of thinking and praying about the things I have heard so what you are getting is what the Lord and I have talked about.

Some of the reasons people would say it is ok is that while it may be founded in a foreign belief it doesnt make it wrong or against God, the same way hymnals are not against God and they were founded as beer drinking songs( a lot of them anyway). Well with some things this may be true, things that dont have spiritual ties that is. You must remember that we are in a war with things unseen. Just because it may not look bad or feel bad doesnt make it any less dangerous. I would have to say that the yoga thing ties into the spiritual battle. One it was founded in another belief system. Two it focuses on the emptying of the mind and focusing on some other energy. Now you may say that you could use that same method of emptying to focus on God but here is the problem; the emptiness. See if we have the holy spirit residing in us then we try to empty out everything to focus on Him then in the process of emptying out we allow other things in. You never want to be an empty vessel. Thinking about the verse that says "be still and know that I am God"? There is a difference in being still and actively emptying your mind. You can be still by just thinking about the wonderful things God has put in your life and meditating on Him without first emptying your mind and spirit. Yoga, every time I have heard about it and seen it has always about first emptying everything then focusing on your energy. Point being that if you are emptying that space then you allow room for something other than God to fill that space.

Poses...I have heard that the poses in yoga are intended to call on spirits and make connecting with that realm more easy. I dont know if that is true or not. I would have to say that it wouldn't surprise me and that if that is the case then that alone is enough to indicate that yoga should be off limits. I would have to put yoga into the same area as witchcraft which the Lord told us to stay away from.

Anyway these are the things the Lord has put on my heart to share with you and to shed light on the yoga subject. I am off to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment